Sveta Nedelya Church
This church was built at the end of the 19th century; during the Middle Ages several smaller churches existed at this place. It is believed that this church lies directly above the crossroads of ancient Serdica.
In 1925 it was largely destroyed in a bomb blast assassination attempt on Tsar Boris III in which over 200 people were killed, although the intended victim was spared. The beautifully preserved wood carved iconostasis dates back to 1865; the murals were added as late as 1976.
St. George Rotunda – the oldest preserved building in Sofia
This is a round church built with red bricks dating from the 4th century; it functions as a temple from the 6th-century. This is Sofia's oldest preserved building. Having undergone major restoration work, it was reopened to the public in 1998 for the first time in 70 years. Three layers of frescoes can still be seen, the oldest dating back to the 10th century illustrating the development of monumental painting through to the 14th century.
City Garden by the National Theatre
The city garden of Sofia where the Ivan Vazov National Theater is located, will enchant you with lots of greenery and fountains; in its center you will see a beautiful ballerina statue. A place for meetings, recreation and chess competitions. There are also several cafes in the park.
Built in 1907 by the Austrian architects Helmer & Felner, the National Theatre is one of the most ornate buildings in Sofia. The 40 meter high façade, is fronted by a large pediment, supported on six white marble columns, depicting Apollo and the muses.
Russian Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas
St. Nikolai, ‘the miracle maker’, is the patron of this church. To this day wishes are written on slips of paper and placed in the wooden box by the white marble sarcophagus of Bishop Serafim (1881 – 1950), who is buried in the crypt. Although never canonized, he is revered by many Bulgarians as a saint.
The inscription on the facade of the building is of particular interest; in translation it means 'United we are strong'. This is the scene of regular public protests and back in 1997 the building was actually stormed and damaged, leading to the eventual downfall of the ruling (Socialist) party. Built in three stages between 1884 and 1928, it was built by the Bulgarian architect Konstantin Ivanovich who had been living and working in Vienna.
St. Sophia church
St. Sophia is the oldest Eastern Orthodox Church in Sofia. It underwent major restoration and renovation works and it was reopened for rituals and for the public in 1999. It plays an important role in the lives of the citizens of Sofia. It is in fact this church, built at the highest point in Sofia, that gave its name to the present-day capital back in the 14th century.
The simple red brick church dates back to the 6th/7th century when it was the site of Serdica's necropolis. Beneath it lie several earlier churches dating back to the early 4th century. You can now visit some of the remains of the ancient buildings and tombs that lie under the church as part of a brand new fascinating museum opened to the public in May 2013.
St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral
The cathedral was named after the Russian Tsar who saved Russia from Swedish troops which threatened to invade Russia in 1240. Alexander Nevski was also the patron saint of Tsar Alexander II, who was also referred to as Bulgaria’s Tsar Osvoboditel (Liberator), since it was his troops that finally brought about Bulgaria’s liberation from Ottoman rule. The foundation stone of Sofia’s biggest church was laid in 1882.